Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Disney Princess 1/2 Recap

The Disney Princess 1/2 was AMAZING!
PR 2:01:52
Overall Pace 9:18

I am trilled with my time. I was aiming for 2:05 as my last (and first) half was the Epcot Wine & Dine last October and I finished at 2:13.

So I SMOKED my TIME!!! 
YAY!

So I am, of course, still riding my race high!

If you're interested in a recap...

The Princess Half kicks off at 5:45AM. I'll have to tell you - having done the Epcot Wine & Dine, which kicks off at 10pm - I without a doubt prefer the evening races...

Since I didn't stay out on Disney property, I had my alarm set for 2:00AM. I'm still nursing L'ILCHUBBYMAN, so I topped him off and handing him over to HUSBAND and was out of bed by 2:15. I was pretty good setting everything up the night before so I grabbed everything, got ready, had a COFFEE (so needed it) and was out the door by 3:00AM.

It was easy getting out to Epcot, where the race start/finish was located. I was out there early, but was glad for it. I was able to check everything out and not feel rushed. Hit the dreaded port-o-let...twice...darn coffee.

I didn't get to hook up with any of the girls I knew who were also running, so that was a bummer. Oh...it was FREEZING...60. Yep - I know...wimpy me...but 60 feels pretty chilly in the morning sometimes! 

There was quit a hike to the start corrals! About a half a mile. I don't think I have ever seen so many port-o-lets. I guess a race of 20,000 women demands that.

Here I am in my corral - I found a gal from Tennesee to chat with and had her take my pic!

 

There were many many women in tiara's, tutu's, or sporting some kind of Princess Flair. So Disney..and very cute. Yes, I dressed up...as Snow White.  I had a royal blue tank that I paired with a self - made tutu of yellow with some red, blue and yellow ribbons throw into it. Then I made some sassy red arm bands. Oh and a sparkly red headband and a red bow. I was feeling pretty princess like! Silly girl that I am.

Princess Attire 
 

Disney does such a phenomenal job with their races. There is entertainment at every mile marker. One thing that did surprise me is just how many people run this race and  stop for all the photo opportunities! There were lines! I guess if you are not running for your time, then it is fun to stop and get you photo with all the Disney characters. I wish I had snapped pictures of the entertainment as I was running... Maybe I will bext time. I'd kinda like to look back.

The run felt easier for me than I anticipated. I didn't have as many long runs in as I had hoped and I was of course worried about feeling ANY pain around my stress fracture site. But no pain!!!

Once I got to mile 10, 11, I was starting to feel it...but not bad. I was running a great race and I felt good! Ther are only like 3 inclines/hills during this race. They are all after mile 10. They sucked....but there was this guy pacing right close to me that I followed up the hills. He MASTERED the hills...I tried to followed. It was weird... I swear he was channeling Dave. I followed him most of the rest of the race.

The only part of this race I was NOT impressed with was the last half mile or so...it was ugly. We were running through back, employee only access areas. Nothing interesting to look at. The last 400 meters or so it opened up and there were LOTS of people cheering the runners on. 

When I crossed the finish line I had to do a double take at my watch. 2:01! I couldn't believe it....what I couldn't believe more - was that I felt like I could have ran it harder. So next time I am working on sub 2:00.

Disney corralled you along -there was water and Powerade -I grabbed both. They were both warm. YUCK! Then they picture both....I can't wait to see that! LOL...I did a funny pose. Then we picked up our "goody" boxes. Which I was very impressed with. But it would have been nice to have a little bag so it wasn't hard to carry that and my banana and drinks.

I found a spot and stretched and noshed on my banana. I tossed the Powerade. Warm lemon Powerade is NASTY. Then I again looked at my time! WOW! I was impressed with myself!!! Disney allows you to set up running tracking and it sends texts to you phone with your splits. For the Epcot these texts were very accurate - as far as when you received them - but for the Princess I was getting the text within about 10 seconds of crossing timing mats. Anyway, I cjhecked on my girlfriend and once I got the text that she had completed we met up and congratulated one another. She did great and set a PR as well! So proud of us both!

This is a race I will, without a doubt, do again and again and again. It was so fun! And dressing in costume...LOVED it! I got to be a Princess and run through Cinderella's castle! I LOVE FLORIDA!

Check out my race BLING! I need to get a better picture for ya.

Oh yeah...Feeling Sassy!

No comments:

Post a Comment